WVWS on Norwegian Press on RIMPAC
TRANSLATION (from Google Translate)
"Although we are good at cocktail parties, we are first and foremost a war machine '
HONOLULU (Aftenposten): The Norwegian frigate "Fridtjof Nansen" has risen far the river delta in the world's largest naval exercise.
KRISTOFFER RØNNE BERG Evening Post's correspondent in the United States
Oppdatert: 04.jul. 2014 13:09
Admiral Harry Harris mysteries mot sun and sighed low to fremmøtte journalistene on the quay at Pearl Harbor.
- Dere vet, leaders are welcome y asking the questions will leaders want, and we have to answer them as best we can. But reach, we tatt six U.S. hittil and they have all been about China. The 20 other country will take part in this exercise, said Harris in a voice that was both mild and severe at the same time.
But the admiral does not stream to prevent China takes most part av oppmerksomheten when Rimpac, the world's largest naval exercise, reach will be launched.
It is the first time the Chinese will take part in the exercise, as the country's official bodies lenge has Ansett as a tiltak directed at their own ambisjoner in East Asia. To reach China takes part in the US-led exercise interpreted in the U.S. as be an important skritt in riktig direction to cut emissions spenningen who oppstått-operation between the Chinese and a number of other countries in this part of the Nordic world.
Fornøyd Søreide But Harris's right - there are many other countries that are included. India, Japan, Brunei, Chile and Australia are among those who have made the trip to Pearl Harbor.
And for the first time is also the Norwegian Navy represented. As the only European countries, Norway has sent a vessel all the way to the other side of the earth.
- It be noted, says Defence Ine Eriksen Søreide, who attended the opening of the navy exercise this week.
She says that the Norwegian frigate "Fridtjof Nansen" is sent to Hawaii both to gain practical experience at a level and scale that never occurs in Europe.
- But it is also a vital national security element here. We have long wanted to take Americans' attention increasingly to our region in the north. And then it's important that we can show them that we are willing to accept our share of the collective burden distribution, not only through budgets, but also by participating in geographical areas that are important to Americans, she said.
Admiral Harris told Aftenposten that he totally agrees.
- What is happening in the Pacific are important for Europe and what is happening in the Arctic is of importance to us here in the Pacific, he said.
Since 2011, the U.S. government made it clear that they want to focus increasingly on Asia, which has been Norway and other NATO countries to realize that the alliance with the Americans no longer something we can take for granted.
Both Søreide and Chief Haakon Bruun-Hanssen is pleased that the Chinese also participate this year. - We are very easy to point to China as an adversary. But because we want to have stability in the Pacific region. We wish you this should not evolve into an area with a military arms race, but rather an area where there is cooperation, says defense chief.
Monday invited the Norwegians to receiving the "Fridtjof Nansen". The menu was whale meat, cured meat, smoked salmon and other specialties. And among the many white-clad guests were Zhao Xiaogang, commander of the four Chinese ships participating.
- He was very nice and for contact. He said he was happy to be invited and that he wanted me to take a trip on board to him, which I intend to do, says Commanding Officer Per Rostad on the Norwegian frigate.
- Norway should have stayed home
He agrees that exercise offers a unique training opportunity for the crew. In addition, they show off the Norwegian technology in the form of NSM missile, to be launched on 10 July in the hope that some of the housemates will flock to the King's customer list.
- Although we are good at cocktail parties and receptions and stuff, so we are first and foremost a war machine, said Rostad.
This point is Kim Compoc very aware of. She was born and raised in Honolulu and strongly dislikes the 25,000 naval personnel are gathered in his home town.
- This illustrates the militarization of our society, which we must put an end to. The main purpose of this exercise is that the defense industry wants to make more money. Moreover, this is an environmental disaster. Does anyone think of the carbon footprint of this exercise creates? I wish Norway and the other countries had remained at home, says Compoc, which has strongly involved in the case through the organization Women Voices, Women Speak.
Follow Chris on Rønneberg Correspondent The World